It’s time for another yummy recipe. I’m excited about this one because it is seriously delicious.
I’ve been on this pescatarian tip for about a month now and it’s a challenge. It’s not easy going from eating chicken and turkey especially, to only fish. It takes some serious planning and creativity. Luckily being from an island, I have access to fresh seafood so I somewhat skip the exorbitant prices of typical seafood markets.
This lobster & shrimp recipe is one that I conjured up, derived from a Bahamian recipe using just minced lobster. This seafood stir fry is a good one, with lots of fresh herbs and packed with flavor. I’m sure you’ll enjoy. (Sidenote: if you have the slightest chance of a shell-fish allergy, substitute chicken or simply skip this one this time).
Yields Serves 3 - 4
My take on a Bahamian favorite - minced lobster stir fry.
20 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 1-2 medium lobster tails
- 2 cups thawed, raw shrimp
- 1 medium onion - diced
- 1 medium bell pepper - diced
- 2 cloves of garlic - minced
- 1 small tomato - diced
- 1-3 slivers of habanero pepper (depending on heat preference)
- 2-3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 3-4 fresh oregano leaves (or 1/4 tsp of dried)
- 2-3 fresh basil leaves
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp ketchup (optional)
- 1 tsp butter
- 3-4 tbsp oil (I used grapeseed but canola can work as well)
- 2 cups water
- Put the water into a saucepan and add the butter and a pinch of salt
- Next add the lobster tails and bring to a boil
- Remove pot from heat once water boils and set aside
- Once cooled, carefully remove lobster meat from the shell and mince/dice - set aside.
- In a wok or non stick frying pan, add you oil, over medium heat
- Add the diced herbs and cook 2-3 mins
- Add raw shrimp and tomatoes to pan and cook until shrimp is pink
- Add your minced lobster meat (if you need more oil add another tablespoon) and fresh herbs
- Finally, add your habanero and season with salt and pepper
- Some people add a bit of ketchup for added sweetness and an extra bit of tomatoe-ness (optional - I do sometimes). You can add this if you like
- Do a final stir of all your ingredients and allow to simmer (covered) for another 5 -7 mins. This allows flavors to mesh together
- Serve on a bed of white or brown rice and enjoy!