If you were to list Ginger benefits, your list would be a mile long and then some. Whether fresh sliced, ground, pureed or mixed with other ingredients, ginger benefits are a dime a dozen.
I initially wasn’t really a fan of ginger – I never hated it or anything it just wasn’t on my radar. I know my parents would often make ginger tea (boiling fresh ginger in water & sweetening with honey) but I didn’t care much about it.
Fast forward to several years later after I went to college in Jamaica and they sold ginger and honey crystals in a just-add-water packet. To make story short, I tried it when I wad fighting a cold, I loved it and now I’m hooked!
So whether you’re looking for overall health, beauty or even diet – ginger benefits are an absolute must see. So scroll down and take a peek at all the wonders this spicy root has to offer.
- Ginger, which contains gingerol (a naturally occurring oil) that has immense antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects.
- Gingerol’s anti-inflammatory is great for joint pain, muscle pain and soreness and even menstrual cramps! (and it really works ladies)
- Ginger is said to help drastically reduce blood sugar levels
- Ginger is also said to have great, heart healthy benefits – lowering cholesterol and blood triglyceride levels.
- Feel a cold, or flu coming on? Sip some ginger tea to help ease your symptoms and shorten the length of the virus.
Digestive & Intestinal Benefits
- Ginger is amazing for settling upset stomachs and nausea. Ate some crazy food that didn’t “agree” with your system? Grab a piece of ginger or ginger tea and it’ll work wonders to settle your stomach.
- Struggling with morning sickness during pregnancy? Ginger helps with that type of nausea as well.
- Ginger is great with treating indigestion. It helps speed up the digestion process to send the food where it needs to go.
Hair, Skin, Beauty Benefits
- Being so rich in antioxidants, ginger works great in anti-aging of skin. Whether ingested or added topically, ginger can help with beautiful skin.
- Promotes hair growth. Ginger supports and increases circulation which of course is great for your scalp by stimulating hair growth. Using a mask of fresh grated or pureed ginger and an essential oil (ideally EVOO or jojoba), let the mixture sit on your hair, especially scalp are for about 30 mins. rinse and shampoo as usual.
- Helps with dandruff relief – ginger also has antiseptic properties that help ward off flakes and itchy scalp. The above recipe also helps with combating this problem
- Acne help – again, due to it’s antiseptic and bacteria fighting properties, ginger minimizes the chance of new breakouts and healing current ones. This happens because it kills the bacteria that causes acne which of course helps the situation overall.
Now if this list isn’t a reason to take a serious look at adding ginger to your daily regimens, I don’t know what is! Of course this isn’t everything, I just gave the main ginger benefits, there are so many more ways ginger can help improve your life. If you have any other ginger benefits that have worked for you then please share, we would love to hear about em!