Baking Soda, also known as Sodium bicarbonate, has been utilized for decades in various everyday applications – from cooking, to cleaning to becoming a staple in beauty regimens. Below are some common (and not so common) DIY uses for baking soda in keeping your ‘beautiful’ on point.
- Facial Scrub – with its gritty texture, baking soda is a great, simple way to remove dead skin cells. Facial scrubs are a must when trying to achieve healthy looking skin, dead skin cells can accumulate on the surface to leave your complexion looking dull and can stretch out your pores. After cleansing, apply baking soda to damp skin and massage in a circular motion until covering all parts of your face (avoiding eyes of course), rinse with warm water and walah! Soft, smooth skin that glows when you’re all done. (Be sure to apply moisturizer to skin immediately after patting the skin dry to replenish moisture levels).
- Teeth Whitening – ever noticed the whitening toothpastes as you walk through the personal care aisle at your local supermarket? Well did ya notice what one of the main ingredients in every last one of them was? Yup, baking soda! You can achieve the same results at home and skip all the unnecessary and unwanted chemicals in most store-bought toothpaste. Simply wet your toothbrush and dip in some baking soda, brush your teeth for about a minute and rinse (note: it doesn’t have the greatest taste, but it works).
- Deodorant – research has shown that there are chemicals in standard antiperspirants that block sweat glands and ultimately lead to various forms of cancer. The good news is that baking soda is a great, natural alternative to smearing on traditional armpit butter. Just mix baking soda with a few drops of water to make a paste, smear the paste onto your armpits and allow to dry. It should dry smooth and keep the not-so-friendly smells at bay (at least during regular daily activities).
- Body Scrub – looking for baby soft skin? Due to its gritty texture, baking soda makes a great DIY body scrub that is ideal for removing dead skin cells that can leave your skin looking dull and lifeless. After a shower/bath, grab a handful of baking soda and mix with your favorite body oil and massage onto wet skin. Rubbing in circular motion, covering from the neck down and rinse – your skin will be baby soft in no time.
- Hair Clarifying – if you suffer from dandruff and dry, itchy scalp, again, baking soda is great at getting your scalp right. During your wash, add about half teaspoon of baking soda to your palm and mix with your favorite shampoo before adding to your hair. Shampoo & condition as usual. The grit will cleanse the scalp, and it also removes product buildup that may have accumulated on your strands. And bonus – it leaves your hair more manageable as well.
- Acne Treatment – nobody likes to wake up one morning and notice that they have an intruder on their face. Pimples can pop up as a result of many different things, and unfortunately we can’t just pick ’em off and go on with our daily business. What you can do, take a bit of baking soda and mix with a tiny bit of honey to make a paste. Leave on for about 15 mins then rinse off. Do this twice daily until that thing goes back to where it came from.
So there you have it. Spend your $1 wisely, go and get yourself a box of baking soda, it’s guaranteed to come in pretty handy!